Saturday 28 November 2020

for you

 I was inspired by the CAS(E) this Sketch #399 challenge design this week as it forced me to think non-symmetrically!  Doesn't sound too hard, eh? I don't think I realised that most of my cards are symmetrical.  I hope that I'm growing as a card designer, so creating more cards like this can only be good for me, right?

So my rambling ideas and thoughts led me at first to be thinking of Santa with the big black belt which would form the horizontal.  But I couldn't flesh out what the white part would be so eventually I decided I wanted to do something a little more... how to describe it... artsy? 


I came up with the idea of a shadow forming the black horizontal then found myself thinking of a full moon, shining in through an open window, casting a shadow from a Christmas present - Christmas is just around the corner after all. The present had to be a big rectangular box, with the shadow elongated out from it.  Quite the challenge to position the moon to achieve this! Now I am no physicist and the shadow angles had me befuddled for quite a while, but after googling how to draw shadows, and working out the shapes formed from a box, I came up with a shadow design I was happy with.  

The box itself is 5 layers of cardstock just slightly offset, to make it appear 3 dimensional, then popped up on foam dimensionals. The moon was stencilled in whisper white ink, then a slightly smaller whisper white cardstock circle glued on top, finished off with lashings of wink of Stella for a little sparkle.

Simple shapes, bold colours, and a clean card, but showing a little montage with more depth than you get from an initial glance. I like that. A little story is lurking there somewhere.

Thanks so much for stopping by!


Stampin' Up! supplies:

cardstock: night of navy, gray granite, real red, basic black, whisper white

ink: basic gray, whisper white

Wink of Stella, black & white twine

stamp: Altenew sentiment strips (part of)


Edit: Thank you so much to the CAS(E) This Sketch team - I'm thrilled to get an Honorable Mention for this card in the challenge!


No comments:

Post a Comment